learning from singapore

I felt so lucky to be sent to Singapore last March by my office to do some work. Although I have to admit the 4 days trip was insanely exhausting, it's quite fun really and I enjoyed every hour of the trip. I enjoyed my visit to some public services in Singapore, include a recycle company, the land-transport gallery, the city gallery near Chinatown, a public school, the water distillation and some recreation parks.

What's great about the trip is it's a bit unusual. I hardly spent time in any shopping malls, unlike most of my traveling trips. HEHEHE. This unusual trip made me think of Jakarta as a home. I started wondering whether I live in this city is the best option. Yes, I love this city and I (probably) will always do, but I have to admit the Singapore trip opened my eyes.

Singapore has a really-well drawn future plan. In 2035, according to the Land-Transport Gallery, each public bus will be equipped with a sensor (or something like that) that automatically slows down the bus every time it reads someone/something pass by in front of it. It also mentioned that Singaporeans will be able to reserve a bus seat online. Traffic jam is a big deal for the government.

Marina Barrage, the water distiller was designed so well that it makes you feel that you're in a Museum or something. I have to salute Singapore in this matter, they can recognize a problem and then work to solve it. The Barrage is a solution to Singapore's lacking of natural resource of water. The Marina Bay, during my visit, has been in progress to be one of the Singapore's tourist attractions.

The recycle company was a big slap to my face. The company doesn't really recycle things. They collect, they sort, they pack and then they send (read: sell) the recyclable "trash" to other countries to be manufactured, like sadly our country (phuff, like we don't have enough of our own trash). Why we purchase, you wonder? It's because we're not bothered to recycle.

It's quite difficult for me to type this, as I know that my rich country, who owns many of natural resources, is so left behind. I never heard (or maybe I'm just an ignorant?) of our government's plan to solve many of the practical problems, like flood (do you notice that flood doesn't longer feel like a problem, it's more like an annual thing), traffic in Jakarta (I'm hopeless with this one), terrible pavements. If our government was able to spend 12.1billions Rupiahs on laptops, I think they can somehow work to come out with money to fix this city.

I really have high hopes that this city I love so much could be better in the future and the people we trust to govern are really going to make sure it happens, even if it's a slow progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment