movie: happy-go-lucky


Movie: Happy-go-Lucky
Directed by: Mike Leigh
Starring: Sally Hawkins
Score: 4.5 of 5.0

I have heard so much about this movie since last year and it’s on the list of the movies I must watch. I was very excited when I heard they’re going to show it on the last Jakarta International Film Festival, but unfortunately I was not able to watch it. Anyway, Blitz megaplex has already has Happy-go-Lucky in their midnight showing, so I guess that’s good news.

Happy-go-Lucky is about an eccentric preschool teacher named Poppy Cross (from Pauline, it depends on which turn you on, she said). Despites her kindness and her positive cheerful ways of looking at life, life is still life, unfortunately. The angry driving instructor, the troubled student, the heartbroken flamenco dance instructor and her hormonal pregnant sister do the tricks to make Poppy human that can be sad, like the rest of us.

But with her excessive jewelries and crazy patterned stockings, Poppy, always an optimist, manages to come back to her feet and make the world a happier place. Just as simple as that, this movie is not only funny but also witty.

Sally Hawkins just won the Golden Globe she deserves for playing Poppy. I truly cannot see anyone else should win, but her. (I love Meryl Streep and MammaMia!, but being nominated for that role … I mean, come on!).

There are actors that are just lucky enough to really play the perfect role. It’s so perfect that it’s almost impossible to have other actors to replace them. Can you see anyone else be Forrest Gump, but Tom Hanks? Or Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich? Or in this movie, Sally Hawkins as Poppy Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment