[au ciné] the beauty of the very violent django unchained


DJANGO UNCHAINED
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Stars: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz
Year: 2013

"Django. The D is silent."

In case you're wondering, yes, I had a very good weekend. I went to see some movies, catch up with a friend, dining with my family. One of the movies I did watch last Saturday was Django Unchained. I must say that I love this movie so much.

Like most of Quentin Tarantino's movies, at the end of every movie, I felt that I just saw something that's totally new, something that has not been done before. I was like this kid being amazed at a fair or something. The same thing happened to me with Django.

Django in short, is about a slave who was given his freedom by this German bounty hunter, whom acquired his help to hunt some law-breakers. Soon after the winter ends, Django decided to search for his wife and planned to free her as well.

Let's put it this way: Quentin has a big head not for nothing. It contains a big busy brain. He is so clever that he could make a very simple non-twisted story line interesting. The dialog, every line seems like a quote from Paulo Coelho's books or something. It's violent, it's extravagant, it's offensive and it's the kind of movie that you would associate with Tarantino.

His love for those tacky B-movies again influenced so much of the movie. The over-the-top blood splats, the crazy opening credit and the tacky soundtrack are exactly why Django is an instant classic. I don't think we could talk about Tarantino without associate him with this movie.

And I have mentioned all these eccentric characters? Leave it to Tarantino to write the most interesting, mind-blowing fictional characters that ever graced our silver screen. And sweet one, they're named with unusual names. Just when you thought nothing could be any weirder than Beatrix Kiddo, here comes Broomhilda von Shaft, Calvin Candie and Django, with a silent D. Do you think Tarantino laughed his ass off when he decided on the names of the characters he wrote?

Just like Inglorious Basterds, soon after I watched it, I firmly believed Waltz deserves his Oscar. In Django, he gave a crazy natural performance as the charismatic Dr. Schultz. I won't be surprised if he eventually wins this year's Oscar for the best supporting role. Leonardo DiCaprio was also taking risk as the flamboyant Monsieur Candie and it works. It's a snub that he wasn't even nominated, totally! Jamie Foxx, Samuel L. Jackson are always good actors and they proved it so.

In short, I beyond love this f-ing movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment