oh #residentevil, how far you've gone

RESIDENT EVIL: RETRIBUTION
Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
Stars: Milla Jovovich, Michelle Rodriguez
Year released: 2012

Before I start, let me tell you that I'm a big fan of Milla Jovovich. I always think that she's one of the most beautiful women in the world. I like some of her movies. I even like the first Resident Evil. It has a stable story-line, it might not be the best movie in this zombie genre, but it's quite entertaining.

Resident Evil has evolved since the first movie released 10 years ago. Alice is no longer just the security staff of Umbrella. She has turned into this fashionista heroine in tight black spandex with killer boots. The umbrella cooperation is no longer one big cooperation, apparently it has turned into something that might cause the extinction to human being. Even the zombies evolved. They're not just the living dead who consume human flesh, they has turned into these zombies with flowery mouth who look like a carnivorous plant. In short, it got weird.

So Retribution begins where the last installment left us (which I totally forget, but seriously I didn't miss much. HEHEHE). Gun shooting, planes crashing, people dying, endless supplies of ammunition and somehow Alice was captured and tortured for I don't know why. I'm not even going to ask why, what or how. It's simply useless. 

At times, I felt frustration watching this movie. I felt that Anderson has ran out of tricks, since the last installment, the big kahuna was that James Cameron's 3D camera technology. And for this one, probably sitting in his uncomfortable desk, he thought maybe he could bring back all the old characters from the first RE could fool us all. Seriously, it didn't work and actually it made it even weirder.

Come from the man who watched the whole series of Resident Evil movies and despite so many disappointment, every time a new Resident Evil movie comes out, I always have this hope that it might actually be good or at least better, but unfortunately it has happened yet.

A friend tweeted a couple of nights ago saying that might be another installment to this Resident Evil movies and it might be its last one. I sighed, but then I thought, for the beautiful Ms. Jovovich, I should keep being hopeful, maybe it requires 5 bad ones to make one masterpiece. Fingercrossed, Milla! 

No comments:

Post a Comment